Friday, October 23, 2009

Reflections Post: Weeks 5 & 6

WHAT WE DID!
So for week five we had to do an eye opener.  I did the tour of our food industry.  Then we watched a film about Genetically Modified Foods.  I then did a post about my first 7 days of my SMART Goal, (which is going wonderfully!)  My last post of the week was my first quarter of my Read 'n' Seed.
Week 6 we started out class with a good discussion, I love discussions because it makes me feel so much more involved in the class.  Then we watched a film by John Robbins about the Revolution of Food.  After which , we learned how to make a graphical header for our blog, which I had already done.
WHAT I LEARNED!
The tour of the food industry was a lot of stuff we've been learning about in class, but the way they had it laid out in a way that everything is connected, was really eye opening.  The only time I ever thought of food negatively before this class was when it had to do with my weight. Now that I realize food affects so much more than our body I have been making much more eco-friendly, and nutritious choices. 
The film about GMO's was also scary.  I think there should not be a patent on anything in nature.  Nature is called nature for a reason we don't have a whole lot of control over it, and therefore can't own it. 
So far my book Exposed is going really well. 
From the John Robbins film I took away so many disturbing images in my head.  The arthrosclerosis (when they pulled the fat out of an artery!), the blood with all the fat in it!, and a heart surrounded by fatty tissue.  I like how he views food as a healing thing.  It is so true that we need to watch what we eat so much closer than most of us do, it affects our bodies so much.
WHAT I'M GONNA DO!
All of the things I've been shown, and all that I have learned over the last few weeks just keep motivating me more and more to live a healthier lifestyle, not just for my body's sake but also for my surroundings.  I will voice my educated opinion about these topics, and make better choices when it comes to my own actions.

See you monday! 
Pam

2 comments:

  1. yes, definitely agree with your comment about nature, it is so wrong, those patents are getting ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're totally right, before this class I only really evaluated the food I ate based on the affect it would have on my weight! There is so much more to know about what you're putting in your body!

    ReplyDelete