Monday, October 12, 2009

Eye Opener: CSPI

Today I did the Eye Opener #1 for the CSPI, after touring our food supply I feel like I actually knew a little about all that stuff!  I have been getting into the effects that cattle and other livestock have on the environment.  This ties along good with my SMART goal of limiting my red meat servings to 1 per week. I've also been incorporating more organic foods into my diet to do my part to get the corporate farming crisis in America under control.  In high school I did a research paper titled "The Family Farm:Nearing Extinction".  There is SO MUCH information online about the dying family farm.  The subsidization of crops and farm products are making it almost impossible for small production farms to keep up with costs.

2 comments:

  1. My dad and uncle run our family farm, and I always wonder how long it will last. Especially after watching that video yesterday, I hardly knew exactly what smaller scale farms were up against. This is an issue I want to do more research on. I'm from East Grand Forks so I live right on the boarder of North Dakota, so when that farmer was talking about Monasato suing him it really hit close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice this does tie in well with your SMART goal! Its good that the tour probably helped make it easier to say no to the red meats. And that is really sad about the dying family farms, I hope with many people starting to go organic that we can turn this around.

    ReplyDelete