Friday, December 11, 2009

Read 'n' Seed : Final review of "Exposed"

Summary:

     Going over the 4 sections of my book I would sum up the 1st part as introducing (on global scale) the world its progress in becoming more environmentally friendly and repairing the damage we've already done.  Europe is obviously the international leader in implementing "green" laws and regulations on the products bought and sold in their countries.

     The 2nd session was more informative on the scientific infomation.  There was one whole chapter devoted to Phthalates, which is used in producing plastic and has been linked to causing infertility and causing malfunctions of the reproductive systems in men.
     The 3 sections was mainly stories about how these chemicals were affecting the lives of men, women and children.  They are everywhere and if our government doesn't start doing something about it there will be consequences.
     The fourth, and final quarter of my book is about our future.  The chapter opens up with the fact that our generation of educated, and intelligent students and young people don't even remember a time when the United States was a leader in being Green.
Overall:
     When choosing a book I thought this one was one of the most interesting I could find... When I started reading it though I really didn't like it very much.   The author Mark Schapiro uses a lot of very technical terms and doesn't describe them in layman's terms (like how we've learned to do in class.)  The book really doesn't have a lot of personality, which is something I struggle with, I've always had problems reading my textbooks.  But once I started really reading and looking up some of the terms on my own the book became more and more interesting.   It really is quite the reality shock to learn about some of the chemicals that are in the everyday things around us and what they can do to our bodies.  Simple things like plastic water bottles to the furniture in your house can create reproductive problems.  Even the cosmetics you use can give you cancer.  It really makes a person question what the world is coming to, profit over health apparently.  The sad part is that the U.S. clearly knows about this and has not taken hardly any steps at all to look at other alternatives to these products like Europe has. 
     So all in all I am pleased that I chose this book and would recommend it to someone, but first I would tell them to make sure to have their computer so they can look up some of the terms. :/


Pam

2 comments:

  1. Profit over health is totally the trend :( how sad. Let's all move to Europe! Who's with me?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well its great you could take something out of it!! even if it was a bit slow...

    ReplyDelete